What is Spoolsv.exe?
The spoolsv.exe process is a Windows file and it is responsible for the built-in print spooler. It is the Spooler SubSystem App and processes various printing and faxing jobs on your system. Since this file is a system file and installed with Microsoft Windows, it is not known to be dangerous.
Rating: based on 310 votes
File scan: Click here to run a file scan
Possible causes of Spoolsv.exe errorsThese errors are frequently caused by conflicts with the file or installation profile, misuse of the file or respective directories, or a malicious attack on the system.
- When conflicts arise on the profile or with the file, the application may be unable to transmit data between the necessary files.
- When a file or directory is misused or damaged, the application as a whole may be unable to load.
- Malicious attacks or infections on the system may render the entire system frozen or unable to perform any necessary computing functions.
Is Spoolsv.exe a dangerous file (virus, malware, spyware)?In most cases, the file is considered to be safe. However, files do become corrupt at times and some malicious files are disguised to represent known, secure system files. When that happens, they can be very difficult to detect and remove, but using a comprehensive system scan usually detects them and allows you to safely remove them.
Known Spoolsv.exe error messages
- File not found: Spoolsv.exe
- Cannot find file: Spoolsv.exe
- Device not recognized missing Spoolsv.exe file
Should I stop the Spoolsv.exe task or process within the Task Manager?Unless you have experience managing the processes and tasks on your machine, it is best to allow a system scanner or registry scanner to handle those tasks. Many of the tasks are required for performing specific operations on your machine and removing them may cause your program or entire computer to malfunction or reboot.
Should I download a new copy of the Spoolsv.exe file?The only time you should ever download a new version of a system file is when it comes through an application update or from the publisher directly. Be very cautious when downloading system files from third-party websites as they may contain additional software that you would install without knowing. This could cause an even larger issue than the error you are getting from this file!
Best way to fix Spoolsv.exe errorsWhen these errors occur, verify if any new hardware or software has been added. If so, simply removing the new hardware or software may resolve the issue. If not, follow the steps below.
- Scan for any driver updates for new equipment. If new equipment or programs have been loaded, they may require updated drivers. Download new, secure drivers and perform a clean system restart.
- Download and install updates for the operating system. Regardless of the operating system version you are using, it is always considered good practice to install the latest security updates.
- Use anti-virus and anti-malware applications. Most virus scanners will protect your machine from basic threats. To increase your protection, use a malware scanner as well.
More information about Spoolsv.exe
Some users have expressed this process to be using upwards of 99% CPU. When this happens, simply removing the spooler process can resolve these. Follow these steps:
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel.
- Click on Administrative Tools.
- Click on Services.
- Find Print Spooler and right-click on it. Select 'Stop'.
- Navigate to your PRINTERS folder which should be at "C:WINDOWSSystem32spoolPRINTERS".
- Delete all files within the PRINTERS folder.
- Right-click on Print Spooler in the Services window and click 'Start' to re-enable.
Since this process is a Windows process, errors with it may cause or trigger errors with other system files too. One file you may notice errors with is avp.exe. If this happens, your system may require more than a simple driver reinstallation.