The wuauclt.exe file is responsible for the Windows Update AutoUpdate Client. It automatically scans for new updates and can even download and install updates if those settings are enabled on your system. The primary function of this process is to make sure your system has the most updated and required updates for your system hardware and software. Microsoft releases patches and updates for security purposes. If these updates are not downloaded and installed, your system may be vulnerable.
Rating: based on 453 votes
File scan: Click here to run a file scan
Possible causes of Wuauclt.exe errorsThese errors are frequently caused by conflicts with the file or installation profile, misuse of the file or respective directories, or a malicious attack on the system.
- When conflicts arise on the profile or with the file, the application may be unable to transmit data between the necessary files.
- When a file or directory is misused or damaged, the application as a whole may be unable to load.
- Malicious attacks or infections on the system may render the entire system frozen or unable to perform any necessary computing functions.
Is Wuauclt.exe a dangerous file (virus, malware, spyware)?In most cases, the file is considered to be safe. However, files do become corrupt at times and some malicious files are disguised to represent known, secure system files. When that happens, they can be very difficult to detect and remove, but using a comprehensive system scan usually detects them and allows you to safely remove them.
Known Wuauclt.exe error messages
- File not found: Wuauclt.exe
- Cannot find file: Wuauclt.exe
- Device not recognized missing Wuauclt.exe file
Should I stop the Wuauclt.exe task or process within the Task Manager?Unless you have experience managing the processes and tasks on your machine, it is best to allow a system scanner or registry scanner to handle those tasks. Many of the tasks are required for performing specific operations on your machine and removing them may cause your program or entire computer to malfunction or reboot.
Should I download a new copy of the Wuauclt.exe file?The only time you should ever download a new version of a system file is when it comes through an application update or from the publisher directly. Be very cautious when downloading system files from third-party websites as they may contain additional software that you would install without knowing. This could cause an even larger issue than the error you are getting from this file!
Best way to fix Wuauclt.exe errorsWhen these errors occur, verify if any new hardware or software has been added. If so, simply removing the new hardware or software may resolve the issue. If not, follow the steps below.
- Scan for any driver updates for new equipment. If new equipment or programs have been loaded, they may require updated drivers. Download new, secure drivers and perform a clean system restart.
- Download and install updates for the operating system. Regardless of the operating system version you are using, it is always considered good practice to install the latest security updates.
- Use anti-virus and anti-malware applications. Most virus scanners will protect your machine from basic threats. To increase your protection, use a malware scanner as well.
More information about Wuauclt.exe
Since this file is critically responsible for system updates, any issues with this process should be handled and quickly and seriously as possible. This process itself has the ability to download and install executable files to your system. When secure, this file poses no risk. However, if this file were to become modified or maliciously altered, it could pose a severe security risk on your system. Be sure to verify this file has not been altered if you experience any errors or messages with this file.
When seeing errors with this file, other processes may fail or cause issues as well. As mentioned above, this is a critical process for updating your operating system. Other files might experience errors too. One of the other files that might be influenced is jucheck.exe. If you begin experiencing errors with either file, a system scan should be executed to prevent future damages.